Redpill Spotlight - Eve 6

I was first introduced to Eve 6, a Californian trio in the alternative rock space, in the late 90s...during my formative preteen years. Like other artists of the day, Eve's pop-punk rhythms earned numerous positions on the Billboard chart. Unlike many of their contemporaries, however, it was their lyrical talent - expressed with such fervor by lead singer Max Collins - that made the whole thing work. For those who doubt that last statement, try listening to "Inside Out" without words.

Despite their early success with hits like "Leech" and "Here's To The Night" (in addition to their aforementioned debut single), the group's personification of adolescence soon began to fizzle as alt rock made way for a "heavier" acoustic in the mid-2000s. Collins and crew would transition into a state of dormancy, leaving a collection of radio hits in their wake until their spirited return in 2012.

In Part I of this edition of Redpill Spotlight, we'll take a nuanced look at the discography of Eve 6, and their observation of the ill-fated reality of rejection, longing, and downright misery - experienced by a hapless segment of the population known as incels.

It was during their state of hiatus that I (then a senior in high school) began catching whiff of a curious pattern; one in which the aesthetically blessed were ascending to the top of the social strata. One might argue this trend should have been identified much earlier, and I would agree, but would also counter that the blue-pilled programming of nearly every authority figure (teachers, parents, and peers) had spilled over into my own moral fiber, such that it was quite difficult (if not impossible at this impressionable age) to come to grips with the idea that some people were, and always would be, treated better for nothing more than their innate facial attributes.

On the precipice of their decline, around the time of their third album (It's All In Your Head), and more specifically upon hearing 'Think Twice', I discovered Eve 6 had tapped into a truth running parallel with my own curiosities.

In 'Think Twice', we witness the cries of a man whose girlfriend routinely cheats on him. Rather than succumbing to the all-encompassing void of loneliness, he carries on in pursuit of a monogamous ideal, even going so far at one point to lament:

Wait 'till the day you finally see
I've been here waiting patiently
Crossing my fingers and my t's

The song comes to a resonate and painful head as he shows up unannounced to find another man at his girl's place, after which he makes his inevitable exit, or as he puts it:

...took the stairs but didn't stop at the street
And as we speak I'm going down

Think Twice is one of Eve's stronger accounts of female infidelity, but certainly not their last foray into the subject, as we will see.

The followup track on the same album, 'At Least We're Dreaming', initially plays as an upbeat proclamation in support of the things we take for granted (air, for instance), but upon repeat listening details a reality and subsequent line of thinking adopted by many blue-pilled incels (sometimes referred to as 'normalfags'):

Swimmin' through the aisles at the grocery store
I don't even know what I'm lookin' for
I'm waitin' for someone to come along and find me

And

I'm alright, I tell myself twice
In the mirror before I can't go to sleep at night

As they close out their senioric effort (if you include Eleventeen) with 'Hokis', we are treated to another story about a man dating a real, half-Armenian stunner.

In this unnatural pairing ('She's hotter than I am handsome'), it's not surprising how our narrator is treated:

She tests me like a scantron,
She'll only tell me what's wrong

With society's encouragement - itself paying dues to third-wave feminism - he not only adheres to her terms, but does so with enthusiasm:

I'm in love with the sounds
That you make on the ground that you walk on
I'm runnin' after you, I'm in love with the way
That you're making me wait
I just want to be catching up to you

Despite this unfortunate state of affairs, the sound and lyrics of 'Hokis' make the whole ordeal deceitfully catchy. I would interject that this ability, among other talents, elevates Eve 6 to a level beyond typical alt-rock of the modern era.

It was all beginning to come together; my suspicions that most relationships weren't really rooted in "true love" seemed reinforced by lyrics that had always taken a back seat to pop-culture's definition of good sound. I was determined to learn more, and opted to move backwards in Eve's discography to see what their self-titled album had covered.

Initially, I found that most of their songs centered around relationships. What became increasingly apparent, however, was how much of their catalogue seemed to feature the protagonist's agony, frustration, and misguided idolization...guided by the sultry wiles of women.

We're given an accurate baseline description of what the hero of Eve 6's songs looks like in their hit 'Inside Out':

I burn, burn like a wicker cabinet.
Chalk white and oh-so-frail.

One doesn't have to go beyond a cursory image search of 'Max Collins' to match the imagery here, and contemplate the pitfalls an individual of his complexion might face. One example is documented in 'Showerhead', where a man's significant other screws another man in the shower:

I loved you while he was in you in the shower
Did (in joy and ecstasy) your eyes begin to water?

As the story goes, this was about Collins' girlfriend, who originally told him it was only fellatio, thus inspiring the song's title. Whether this is true or not, it once again shines the light on the (presumably better looking) woman's infidelity - a risk every incel might consider when seeking relationship status.

On the surface there is nothing about 'Superhero Girl' that bears mentioning to the millions placed in the 'sub 8' category.

The man in this tale actually intends to seduce a currently involved woman, and seems to think he has a shot:

So break the bruised monogamy
And let him fade to memory
And your erotic wet atomic eyes
Keep reoccurring in my mind
Do me a favor please
And touch your lips to mine

The very idea that success would occur flies in the face of the word 'incel', except when it comes to fantasy. And the narrator's description is just that. Without any true context, his cocksuredness is potentially nothing more than the product of a misguided ego (something we never see around here). In extreme cases, this degree of expression, whether mentally or in prose form, has been known to fester into a serious condition called 'oneitis'.

Stay tuned for Part II...

Return to Entertainment